No. of 2018. Vehicles and Road Traffic Saint Christopher
(Amendment) Bill 2018. and Nevis.
SAINT CHRISTOPHER AND NEVIS
No. of 2018
A BILL to amend the Vehicles and Road Traffic Act, Cap. 15.06
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the National Assembly of Saint Christopher and Nevis and by the authority of the same as follows:
- Short title.
This Act may be cited as the Vehicles and Road Traffic (Amendment) Act, 2018.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, “Act” means the Vehicles and Road Traffic Act, Cap.15.06.
- Amendment of section 2.
Section 2 of the Act is amended in the definition of “traffic sign” by
replacing the expression, “signal” with the following expression:
“signals, whether automatic, electric or electronic signals including traffic lights”.
- Amendment of section 4.
Section 4 of the Act is amended by inserting immediately after subsection
(5), the following new subsections (6), (7) and (8):
“ (6) The Licensing Authority may grant authorisation for a person to become an inspector for the purposes of subsection (3) upon:
- receipt of a letter of application accompanied by a fee prescribed by the Minister in Regulations;
- satisfactory compliance with the guidelines for inspection and inspection facilities as may be prescribed by the Minister in Regulations.
(7) Where a person has been authorised to perform the duties of an inspector pursuant to subsection (3), and the inspector or his agents contravenes the provisions of this section, the person shall be liable
- in the case of a first violation to be issued with a warning; and
- in the case of a second or subsequent offence the authorisation may be withdrawn by the Licensing
(8) A licensing officer or an examining officer designated pursuant to subsection (5), shall be permitted to enter the premises where vehicles are being inspected or are proposed to be inspected by an inspector, for the purpose of verifying and monitoring the inspection process.”.
- Amendment of section 32.
Section 32 of the Act is amended by inserting immediately after paragraph
(d) a new paragraph (e) as follows:
“(e) in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, if the person defaults more than one month in payment of a fixed penalty pursuant to the provisions of section 85, and until such time as the penalty is paid.”.
- Amendment of section 37.
Section 37 of the Act is amended by replacing the section as follows:
“ 37. Production of Driver’s Licence.
- The driver of a motor vehicle shall, on being so
required by any member of the Police Force, immediately produce his or her driver’s licence for examination so as to enable such member of the Police Force to ascertain the name and address of the holder of the licence and the date of issue of the same, and if he or she fails so to do, he or she shall be liable, on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars.
- The driver of a motor vehicle who is the holder of
a temporary driver’s licence pursuant to section 36, shall, on being so required by a member of the Police Force, immediately produce
for examination both his or her
- temporary driver’s licence; and
- foreign driver’s licence or a valid photo
- MICHAEL PERKINS
Passed by the National Assembly this day of , 2018.
Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly