Basseterre, St. Kitts – 31 January, 2019: The United Kingdom has published a White Paper which proposes that from 2021 UK Immigration Rules will apply to EU and non-EU migrants alike in a single immigration system which selects people on the basis of their skills and talent as opposed to their nationality.
It is also important to note the following:
▪ The introduction of an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme similar to the scheme operating in the USA
▪ An improved system for business making greater use of technology. Applications will be online and permissions will be granted electronically. A lighter touch sponsorship route will be introduced.
▪ Greater use of e-gates for low risk travelers
▪ Greater access for global talent such as top international scientists and start-up
▪ New entry routes for temporary short-term workers
▪ No limit for international students and an extended visa period after graduation
▪ Improved compliance system making better use of data and technology
▪ Continuing support for family life and vulnerable persons
▪ The Common Travel Area allowing travel between the UK, Ireland and the Crown
Dependencies will continue