October is Financial Information Month in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union.
The theme for Financial Information Month (FIM) is: Financial Empowerment Through Education. FIM is a regional financial, economic, business and entrepreneurial education campaign that has been executed in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU) since 2002. The month forms part of an ECCU financial and economic education programme which the ECCB coordinates in collaboration with ECCU member governments, financial and academic institutions, the media, other private and public sector institutions and community-based groups. The programme incorporates a series of initiatives designed to support the attainment of the goal of “a financially developed and vibrant ECCU region that fosters strong and sustainable economic growth and the improved well-being of the citizenry.”
The area of focus for FIM 2018 is: Conducting and Protecting Your Business in a Digital Environment. The activities will concentrate on the following sub-themes:
- From standing in line to going online – providing information about online services offered by financial institutions and other agencies e.g., government e-services;
- New Currency: Cryptocurrency, Bitcoins, Digital Wallets…Are We Ready? – examining the required infrastructure, impact on the ECCU payments system, legal framework requirements/implications, regulation and supervision;
- Cyber security: use strong protection every time – advising the public on how to protect themselves from identity theft, online fraud and the proper use of ATMs; and
- Restructuring and transforming your business to take advantage of opportunities in the digital environment – highlighting how businesses can use technology to advance their operations, the importance of intellectual property rights for producers of digital works, how artistes/artisans can reap maximum financial gains from creative work.
The featured events that will take place in St Kitts and Nevis are: i) the FIM Financial Fair which will be held at the Independence Square on 26 October and ii) a Business Symposium which will be held at the Sir Cecil Jacobs Auditorium on 31 October. The topics for the symposium are:
- Innovation in the payment system: cryptocurrency, bitcoins, mobile wallets, digital currency…Are We Ready for the Transformation?
- Restructuring and transforming your business to take advantage of opportunities in the digital environment.