The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) is seeking to fill the leadership position of Secretary General and Chief Executive Officer.
The Secretary General is the public face and chief spokesperson of the CTO, and as Chief Executive Officer is responsible for implementing the vision of the organisation based on the strategic direction set by the Council of Ministers and Commissioners of Tourism and the Board of Directors.
The immediate priorities for the new Secretary General will be to respond to the tourism development priorities of the CTO’s member-countries, ensure the effective implementation of the organisation’s strategic plans, improve investment for programme development and delivery, and enhance the organisation’s corporate stature. The Secretary General will secure the financial sustainability of the organisation; lead and develop the organisation’s professional and support staff, ensuring that resources are mobilised, optimally utilised and well managed; cultivate and maintain international and regional partnerships with the private and public sectors; and engage in dialogue, consult and collaborate with tourism ministries and national tourism organisations, the CTO’s wider membership network and other key stakeholders.
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), with its headquarters in Barbados and offices in New York and London, is the Caribbean’s tourism development agency comprising membership of twenty-four (24) of the region’s finest countries and territories including Dutch, English, French and Spanish-speaking, as well as a myriad of private sector allied members. The CTO’s vision is to be a transformational, member-oriented tourism organisation that champions excellence, global competitiveness and innovation, positioning the Caribbean as the most desirable year-round, warm-weather destination. The CTO’s purpose is Leading Sustainable Tourism – One Sea, One Voice, One Caribbean.
The Secretary General leads a team of professionals working toward achieving the CTO’s mission to provide to and through its members, innovative products and services integral to the development of sustainable tourism for the economic and social benefit of the Caribbean. Among the benefits to its members, the organisation provides specialised support and technical assistance in sustainable tourism development, marketing, communications, advocacy, human resource development, event planning & execution and research & information technology.
The Secretary General firmly upholds the organisation’s key transformational pillars, which address the commitment of the CTO to focus on specific priority areas of its work.
The appointment is for a three-year renewable contract period.
The Secretary General is responsible to the organisation’s Council of Tourism Ministers and Commissioners and the Board of Directors for:
- Implementation of the general visionary policies of the CTO as established by the Council of Tourism Ministers;
- Overall administration and coordination of CTO activities and programmes in the best interests of the organisation and its members;
- Exercising financial control and budgetary management of the organisation and its programmes;
- Creation and organisation of special programmes and projects in the furthering of the CTO’s objectives;
- Ensuring that the correct processes and procedures are followed with respect to all matters within the competence of the organisation;
- Advising on all aspects of the organisation’s strategic development;
- Acting as the ambassador for the organisation in meetings with leading figures in government, private sector and development agencies;
- Leading the charge in securing funding for new programmes of work in accordance with the organisation’s relationships with its member countries and private sector members, other international organisations and funding agencies, governments and businesses;
- Representing the organisation, by personal attendance or delegate, on Boards or Committees of the Caribbean Community and other key regional and international institutions;
- Managing the CTO Secretariat at its Headquarters in Barbados; and
- Performing any other related functions as may be delegated by the Council of Tourism Ministers and Commissioners and the Board of Directors from time to time in furtherance of the achievement of the organisation’s plans and programmes.
- Provision of a clear strategic direction for the CTO and overall leadership;
- Delivery of CTO programmes and activities to a high standard of performance;
- Introduction of new programmes and activities related to the requirements of member-countries and of the international tourism development community;
- Securing new funding agreements with existing and potential donors/funders;
- Full implementation of the CTO Constitution and By-Laws;
- Effective delivery of outputs/results established in the organisation’s Strategic Plan;
- Developing and maintaining a high reputation for the CTO;
- Increased government and tourism sector membership;
- Effective financial control and management;
- Strategic engagement with key regional institutions;
- Facilitating an organisational culture that inspires and motivates all employees; and
- Actively seeking out and promoting initiatives that improve and maximise efficiency and make best use of resources.
Education, Experience, Training
- Must possess a minimum of a master’s level degree in tourism, business administration, management, marketing communications, international relations or other relevant field.
- Possess a minimum of ten (10) years’ experience working at a senior/executive management level and preferably in the tourism sector.
- Extensive knowledge of the Caribbean region and its tourism products and services.
- Considerable experience in planning and policy development and implementation at senior levels.
- Ability to effectively promote and articulate the organisation’s role, function, programmes and initiatives in regional and international circles.
- Proficiency in strategic management and organisational or corporate governance.
- Experience in interacting with the international donor community and development agencies.
- Competence in the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for business purposes would be a definite asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in Spanish, French or Dutch would be a definite asset.
- Solid track record of strong leadership and human relations skills in order to effectively build and motivate efficient and productive teams within the organisation;
- Strong administrative and financial skills demonstrated in a senior strategic role.
- A comprehensive, professional understanding of international and regional tourism development issues, including social and economic development.
- Record of achievement in securing funding from external sources, including funding agencies and the private sector.
- Experience in developing and implementing innovative measures necessary for regional tourism competitiveness.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Secretary General must also possess the ability to:
- Build consensus and communicate effectively at the highest level with governmental and non-governmental agencies and senior tourism practitioners across the region as well as internationally;
- Advocate effectively in an organisation that caters to a diverse membership, with varying needs;
- Effectively communicate at all levels, often covering complex and wide-ranging subjects;
- Establish credibility quickly, particularly in new areas of influence;
- Provide direction and leadership in a way that inspires confidence and commitment and encourages ideas, innovation and initiative from others;
- Think strategically and analytically, grasp complex issues and exercise sound judgment in a sensitive environment; and
- Comfortably operate in a challenging and dynamic environment.
Other Key Requirements
- Commitment to the role, mandate and objectives of the CTO;
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills at the most senior levels to lead, develop and participate in partnerships and strategic alliances;
- Exhibit proficiency with MS Office applications;
- Ability to demonstrate authority, commitment, consistency and fairness;
- Politically astute and aware;
- Extensive travel within and outside the region;
- Live and work in Barbados. The position is based at the CTO’s Headquarters.
The remuneration package is in line with expectations for a position of this calibre and seniority in the Caribbean.