Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified nationals of Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Member States and Associate Members of the Caribbean Community to fill the position of Senior Accountant at the CARICOM Competition Commission, situated in Paramaribo, Suriname.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for managing the Accounting Function of the Commission and for implementing applicable Financial Rules as outlined by the CARICOM and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). This position reports to the Executive Director of the Commission.
Key duties and responsibilities:
1. Devises, implements and manages accounting processes and procedures including computerized financial systems;
2. Collects revenue for the Commission;
3. Reports on Member States contributions;
4. Manages and reports on the Commission’s Cash Flow;
5. Administers computerized system for Revenue Collection;
6. Manages the Annual Estimates and Budget process for the Commission;
7. Manages the Closing of Accounts and preparation of associated Financial Statements;
8. Manages, trains and motivates accounting staff; and
9. Performs other relevant duties as directed by the ExecutiveDirector, as may be required, from time to time.
1. Prepares Annual Estimates in conjunction with other departments and in accordance with the established timetableof the Council for Trade and Economic Development (COTED) and the Council of Ministers (CCOM);
2. Prepares progress reports for agreed budget programmes as required;
3. Produces, implements and monitors implementation of the Commission’s Financial Rules, in conjunction with applicable Financial Rules such as those established by CARICOM, and the Commission in accordance with the IFRS and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), processes andprocedures including related forms and other documentation;
4. Prepares monthly Statements of Actual Expenditure in accordance with the requirements of the Commission;
5. Prepares monthly Cash Flow Statements to report on the Commission’s financial position;
6. Prepares monthly and quarterly financial statements and variance analyses on the state of accounts and the trend of expenditures for the review of the Executive Director and Board;
7. Ensures that the General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll and other computerized Accounting Systems (e.g. Account View) are implemented and operating efficiently;
8. Ensures that appropriate account reconciliations are completed on a monthly basis;
9. Closes the Commission’s Accounts in accordance with an agreed timetable, in line with the financial year end;
10. Produces end of year financial statements for review by the Executive Officer, the Board and submission to the Auditors;
11. Supports the work of the Commission’s appointed External and/or Internal Auditor to ensure that the assets and accounts of the Commission are properly managed;
12. Manages and accounts for the Commission’s Fixed Assets;
13. Manages the Commission’s banking arrangements ensuring that bank reconciliation statements are produced on a monthly basis;
14. Ensures that adequate arrangements are in place to collect and account for all the Commission’s contributions from Member States;
15. Develops and implements revenue and debt collection systems;
16. Reviews preparation of payment vouchers, cheques and other relevant documentation;
17. Ensures as far as possible that the Commission’s cash is managed with safeguards to protect against fraud and misuse;
18. Assists any investigating panel established by the Commission pursuant to the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas in the review and examination of accounting records of enterprises under investigation; and
19. Develops employee-based initiatives in conjunction with HR.
1. Ensures that the finance department is staffed with a competent, qualified team;
2. Implements staff training on the basis of the agreed training needs analysis of the department;
3. Facilitates on the job training where necessary;
4. Monitors sick leave and annual leave for staff of the department;
5. Holds monthly staff meetings and staff supervision sessions at least on a quarterly basis; and
6. Prepares annual staff performance reviews, sets objectives and monitors performance against the specified objectives of the department.
Qualifications and Experience:
Detailed experience of financial processes and procedures as evidenced by:
• Professional Accountancy Qualification at the ACCA level or its equivalent with a minimum of five (5) years’ accounting experience;
• Professional finance and accounting experience at a senior and/or middle management level;
• Accounting experience in a regulatory, regional or international environment would be an asset; and
• Demonstrated experience in examining records, reconciling accounts and preparing and interpreting financial reports /statements.
Professional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office and accounting softwarepackages such as AccountView, QuickBooks and Peachtree;
• Ability to set up and maintain a Chart of Accounts;
• Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year -end close process;
• In -depth understanding of IFRS and GAAP;
• Skills in Arrears Management and experience in managingrevenue collection and bad debt;
• Excellent organizational, problem-solving and communication skills;
• Ability to work collaboratively with local, regional and international external agencies;
• Strong report writing skills; and
• Strong leadership, managerial and team development capabilities.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications in English with full curriculum vitae details, including nationality, date of birth, work experience, educational qualifications, summary of professional skills and/or expertise, language proficiency, list of professional publications, coordinates (including e-mail addresses) of three referees (at least two of whom must be familiar with the applicant’s work), and other relevant information, should be addressed to:
CARICOM Competition Commission
And submitted by email to email@example.com
The deadline for submission of applications is Friday April 26, 2019.
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED